- Store Info
- Calendar of Events
- Readers Guild
- Book Lists
- Educator Services
- Local Authors Corner
Search for Books
Celebrity Chekhov: Stories by Anton Chekhov
Q: What do Tiger, Paris, Lindsay, Alec, and Oprah have in common with the enduring characters of Anton Chekhov?
A: Love, loss, pride, yearning, heartbreak, renewal, transcendence: the very stuff of life.
The immortal stories of Anton Chekhov have long entranced readers with their insights into the universal truths of human behavior . . . but you've never read them quite like this.
- Former friends Nicole and Paris exchange prickly pleasantries in "Tall and Short."
- Talk-show host Dave narrowly averts another potential domestic crisis in "A Transgression."
- Reality star Kim shares her newfound notoriety with Khloe and Kourtney in "Joy."
In a witty, graceful, and revelatory feat of literary reinvention, acclaimed novelist and humorist Ben Greenman takes nineteen of Chekhov's greatest stories and recasts them with some of the best-known luminaries of our timewith eye-opening, and oddly ennobling, results.
About the Author
Ben Greenman is an editor at The New Yorker and author of What He's Poised to Do, Please Step Back, Superbad, Superworse, and A Circle Is a Balloon and Compass Both. His writing has appeared in the New York Times, the Washington Post, McSweeney's, The Paris Review, Zoetrope: All-Story, Opium, and elsewhere. He lives in Brooklyn with his wife and two children.
Praise for Celebrity Chekhov: Stories by Anton Chekhov…
“A high-concept experiment in surreal comedy, that’s also an act of devotion regarding the persistent power of literature.”
“Nothing short of brilliant. . . . you can plant it proudly on your bookshelf.”
“Ben Greenman’s Celebrity Chekhov might be the first literary mashup that actually adds to our understanding of the original work.”
-The Very Short List
- Eric Skokan -- "Farm Fork Food"(5 days)
- Jon Bassoff -- "Factory Town"(6 days)
- Dannielle Owens-Reid & Kristin Russo -- "This Is a Book for Parents of Gay Kids"(7 days)
- Julie Hedlund & Susan Eaddy -- "My Love for You Is the Sun"(8 days)
- Veterans Speak Book Club Discussion of "The Yellow Birds"(8 days)