- Store Info
- Calendar of Events
- Readers Guild
- Book Lists
- Educator Services
- Local Authors Corner
Search for Books
Celebrity Chekhov: Stories by Anton Chekhov
Q: What do Tiger, Paris, Lindsay, Alec, and Oprah have in common with the enduring characters of Anton Chekhov?
A: Love, loss, pride, yearning, heartbreak, renewal, transcendence: the very stuff of life.
The immortal stories of Anton Chekhov have long entranced readers with their insights into the universal truths of human behavior . . . but you've never read them quite like this.
- Former friends Nicole and Paris exchange prickly pleasantries in "Tall and Short."
- Talk-show host Dave narrowly averts another potential domestic crisis in "A Transgression."
- Reality star Kim shares her newfound notoriety with Khloe and Kourtney in "Joy."
In a witty, graceful, and revelatory feat of literary reinvention, acclaimed novelist and humorist Ben Greenman takes nineteen of Chekhov's greatest stories and recasts them with some of the best-known luminaries of our timewith eye-opening, and oddly ennobling, results.
About the Author
Ben Greenman is an editor at The New Yorker and author of What He's Poised to Do, Please Step Back, Superbad, Superworse, and A Circle Is a Balloon and Compass Both. His writing has appeared in the New York Times, the Washington Post, McSweeney's, The Paris Review, Zoetrope: All-Story, Opium, and elsewhere. He lives in Brooklyn with his wife and two children.
Praise for Celebrity Chekhov: Stories by Anton Chekhov…
“A high-concept experiment in surreal comedy, that’s also an act of devotion regarding the persistent power of literature.”
“Nothing short of brilliant. . . . you can plant it proudly on your bookshelf.”
“Ben Greenman’s Celebrity Chekhov might be the first literary mashup that actually adds to our understanding of the original work.”
-The Very Short List
- Deborah Frazier -- "Colorado's Hot Springs"(1 day)
- Travel Writing: A Writing Workshop with Jayme Moye, 2014 Travel Writer of the Year(3 days)
- Nathaniel Vinton -- "The Fall Line"(3 days)
- Heather Sappenfield -- "The View from Who I Was"(7 days)
- Alexandra Fuller -- "Leaving Before the Rains Come"(10 days)