- Store Info
- Calendar of Events
- Readers Guild
- Book Lists
- Educator Services
- Local Authors Corner
Search for Books
In Sucess Stories, an exceptionally varied yet coherent collection, Russell Banks proves himself one of the most astute and forceful writers in America today. Queen for a Day, Success Story, and Adultery trace fortunes of the Painter family in there pursuit of and retreat from the American dream. Banks also explores the ethos of rampant materialism in a group of contemporary moral fables. The Fish is an evocating parable of faith and greed set in a Southeast Asian village, The Gully tells of the profitability of violence and the ironies of upward mobility in a Latin American shantytown, and Chrildren's Story explores the repressed rage that boils beneath the surface of relationships between parents and children and between citizens of the first and third worlds.
About the Author
Russell Banks is a past president of the International Parliament of Writers and a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters. His work has been translated into twenty languages and has received numerous awards, including the Commonwealth Writers' Prize. He lives in upstate New York and Miami, Florida.
- Ann Stewart Zachwieja, Katie Wise, Yoon Park, and Eddy Jordan -- "Listen to Your Mother"(1 day)
- Living Poets Society Poetry Bookclub Meeting -- "Strange Angels"(6 days)
- David Loy -- "A New Buddhist Path"(6 days)
- Carl Lehrburger -- "Secrets of Ancient America"(7 days)
- Marie Rose Phan-Le -- "Talking Story"(8 days)