- Store Info
- Calendar of Events
- Readers Guild
- Book Lists
- Educator Services
- Local Authors Corner
Search for Books
Living by Fiction
Living by Fiction is written for--and dedicated to--people who love literature. Dealing with writers such as Nabokov, Barth, Coover, Pynchon, Borges, García Márquez, Beckett, and Calvino, Annie Dillard shows why fiction matters and how it can reveal more of the modern world and modern thinking than all the academic sciences combined. Like Joyce Cary's Art and Reality, this is a book by a writer on the issues raised by the art of literature. Readers of Pilgrim at Tinker Creek and Holy the Firm will recognize Dillard's vivid writing, her humor, and the lively way in which she tackles the urgent questions of meaning in experience itself.
About the Author
Annie Dillard has written eleven books, including the memoir of her parents, An American Childhood; the Northwest pioneer epic The Living; and the nonfiction narrative Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. A gregarious recluse, she is a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
- Eric Skokan -- "Farm Fork Food"(4 days)
- Jon Bassoff -- "Factory Town"(5 days)
- Dannielle Owens-Reid & Kristin Russo -- "This Is a Book for Parents of Gay Kids"(6 days)
- Julie Hedlund & Susan Eaddy -- "My Love for You Is the Sun"(7 days)
- Veterans Speak Book Club Discussion of "The Yellow Birds"(7 days)