- Store Info
- Calendar of Events
- Readers Guild
- Book Lists
- Educator Services
- Local Authors Corner
Search for Books
The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature
Referring to Lewis Carroll's Red Queen from Through the Looking-Glass, a character who has to keep running to stay in the same place, Matt Ridley demonstrates why sex is humanity's best strategy for outwitting its constantly mutating internal predators. The Red Queen answers dozens of other riddles of human nature and culture -- including why men propose marriage, the method behind our maddening notions of beauty, and the disquieting fact that a woman is more likely to conceive a child by an adulterous lover than by her husband. Brilliantly written, The Red Queen offers an extraordinary new way of interpreting the human condition and how it has evolved.
About the Author
Matt Ridley is the author of several award-winning books, including Genome, The Agile Gene, and The Red Queen, which have sold more than 800,000 copies in twenty-seven languages worldwide. He lives in England.
- Linda Kohanov -- "The Power of the Herd"(2 days)
- Suspense Quadrupled: Four Writers of Mystery(3 days)
- Tovar Cerulli -- "The Mindful Carnivore"(4 days)
- Hilary Hart -- "Body of Wisdom"(10 days)
- Marc Bekoff -- "Ignoring Nature No More: The Case for Compassionate Conservation" & "Jasper's Story"(11 days)