- Store Info
- Calendar of Events
- Readers Guild
- Book Lists
- Educator Services
- Local Authors Corner
Search for Books
A History of the Twentieth Century: The Concise Edition of the Acclaimed World History
Martin Gilbert, author of the multivolume biography of Winston Churchill and other brilliant works of history, chronicles world events year by year, from the dawn of aviation to the flourishing technology age, taking us through World War I to the inauguration of Franklin Roosevelt as president of the United States and Hider as chancellor of Germany. He continues on to document wars in South Africa, China, Ethiopia, Spain, Korea, Vietnam, and Bosnia, as well as apartheid, the arms race, the moon landing, and the beginnings of the computer age, while interspersing the influence of art, literature, music, and religion throughout this vivid work.
A rich, textured look at war, celebration, suffering, life, death, and renewal in the century gone by, this volume is nothing less than extraordinary.
About the Author
Martin Gilbert is Winston Churchill's biographer and the author of eight acclaimed books on the Holocaust. He lives in London.
- Eric Skokan -- "Farm Fork Food"(4 days)
- Jon Bassoff -- "Factory Town"(5 days)
- Dannielle Owens-Reid & Kristin Russo -- "This Is a Book for Parents of Gay Kids"(6 days)
- Julie Hedlund & Susan Eaddy -- "My Love for You Is the Sun"(7 days)
- Veterans Speak Book Club Discussion of "The Yellow Birds"(7 days)